Apple Cider Vinegar has been around for thousands of years. This miracle substance has shown up in ancient Egyptian urns dating back to 3000 B.C. Ancient civilizations from the Babylonians to the Greeks, used Apple Cider Vinegar for everything from a health elixir to an antiseptic agent.
Today, we know that using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) for health benefits isn’t just an old wives’ tale, scientific studies back up the benefits with evidence.
Making ACV is as easy as getting juice from an apple. The juice ferments and when it becomes cider, a culture of acetobacter (acetic acid forming bacteria) is added and after a few days, Apple Cider Vinegar is ready.
Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is full of important nutrients like: vitamins B1, B2, and B6, folic acid, biotin, pantothenic acid, niacin, and vitamin C. Small amounts of minerals like phosphorous, calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, and iron are also present. With a list like that, it’s no wonder there are so many health benefits.
Most common health benefits related to Apple Cider Vinegar:
– Improves the look and feel of skin
– Helps balance pH levels of blood
– Cleans out arteries
– Promotes good digestion
– Dissolves fats in the digestive system
– Kills germs, viruses, bacteria and fungus
– Helps regulate calcium metabolism
– Fights acne
– Reduces pain related to arthritis
– Aids weight control
– Gets rid of athlete’s foot
– Eases leg cramps/pain
– Speeds removal of toxins from the body
– Stimulates cognition
– Slows aging
– Helps to reduce high blood pressure
– Reduces cholesterol levels
– Fights infection
– Helps prevent osteoporosis
– Alleviates sore throat
– Used in bath water, helps fight vaginal infections
– Soothes sunburn, shingles and insect bites
– Prevents dandruff
– Combats gallstones
Losing Weight with Apple Cider Vinegar
The list of health benefits from ACV is long and diverse, but one of the most popular uses these days is for weight loss. All it takes is 1-2 teaspoons of ACV mixed into 8 ounces of water to drink before meals, three times a day.
When combined with a healthy eating and exercise plan, studies prove that ingesting ACV can help you lose weight because it:
– Improves sugar absorption by the liver and muscles helping regulate blood glucose levels and in turn burning more stored fat.
– Changes the ratio of fat storing and fat burning hormones leading to a higher burn rate.
– Increases production of the enzyme AMPK which is responsible for increased fat burning and decreased fat and sugar production in the liver.
– Decreases belly fat and liver fat storage.
– Reduces possibility of metabolic syndrome symptoms.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar is a great way to begin the day or as a pick-me-up in the afternoon. If you are just getting started, begin with 1 teaspoon of ACV added to 8 ounces of water. Gradually increase the amount of ACV to 2 tablespoons in the same amount of water and drink it with your meals.
Apple Cider Vinegar is also delicious as a warm tea with ginger and honey; or drizzled on salads and boiled vegetables for extra flavor. Also, use it as a skin tonic on a cotton ball or in the bath water for dry, itchy skin.
Not only is Apple Cider Vinegar one of the best home remedies for a long list of problems, it’s delicious and easy to use too.